Biden Administration Continues To Ignore Complete Chaos At Southern Border
WASHINGTON, DC – The crisis at the border is completely out of control, and the Biden Administration continues to ignore the situation. It’s time to stop pretending this crisis will fix itself and take action to ensure the safety and security of all Americans. With border encounters at a 21-year high, Biden’s border crisis is clearly only getting worse and putting the DHS workforce, support staff, and local border communities at significant health risk.
Today, Homeland Security Republicans released the latest edition of the “Startling Stats” fact sheet, detailing new data on the crisis at the southwest border.
Download the fact sheet here.
- 208,887 migrants were encountered along the southwest border in August 2021 – a 317% increase compared to August 2020.
- August was the 6th straight month with more than 170,000 encounters – a trend never before recorded.
- CBP is on track to encounter more migrants this fiscal year than any year on record.
- 10,469 pounds of fentanyl have been seized at the border this year – enough to kill 2.37 billion people or the U.S. population over seven times.
- Known or suspected terrorists are crossing the border “at a level we have never seen before.”
- An Inspector General report found that the Biden Administration’s erosion of Title 42 has had a “significant negative impact in CBP’s COVID-19 mitigation measures.”
Ranking Member Katko, along with Homeland Security Committee Republicans and House Republican leadership, introduced the Border Security for America Act of 2021 (H.R. 4828), which would secure our borders by resuming construction of the border wall system, deploying effective technology, and placing more boots on the ground. The legislation earned the support of the National Border Patrol Council, which represents approximately 18,000 Border Patrol Agents and support personnel.