“Startling Stats 16.0” Highlights Border Encounters Continue to Rise
WASHINGTON, DC – The Biden Administration’s reckless open border policies are causing a record number of border and drug encounters, human smuggling attempts, and drug-overdose deaths. Today, Rep. John Katko (R-NY), Ranking Member of the House Committee on Homeland Security, and Homeland Security Republicans released the latest edition of the “Startling Stats” fact sheet, highlighting that the Biden border crisis just keeps getting worse.
Download the fact sheet here.
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) had 164,973 migrant encounters along the Southwest Border in February 2022.
- Only five months into Fiscal Year 2022, CBP has already had 967,743 nationwide encounters, including both the Southwest and Northern Land Borders.
- February was the 12th straight month with more than 150,000 encounters – a trend never before recorded.
- In the first five months of Fiscal Year 2022, CBP has already arrested 11,209 individuals with criminal convictions and 260 known gang members, including 102 members of MS-13.
- Cocaine seizures increased by 83 percent, methamphetamine seizures increased by 97 percent, and heroin seizures increase by 173 percent compared to January 2022.